Monday, October 5, 2009

U.S. Playing Card Bicycle Cards with Tax Stamps







I bought a boxed playing card set this weekend, a Bicycle Play Cards Canasta box. Bicycle is a brand of the U.S. Playing Card Co. here in the Cincinnati area. I saw the cards were still in their cellophane wrappers. When I got home and examined them closer, I saw they still had the IRS tax stamps still on the cards. They read "Play Cardds" at the top, "1 Pack" in the center and "U.S. Int. Rev." below. Likewise, each pack has a round purple U.S. Playing Card sticker showing their famed Spade symbol with the woman in the middle (Lady Liberty?). As I said earlier, both packs are still covered in cellophane, although one has a loose end. The box itself is in worn condition, a blue top showing the King riding a bike, the bottom is gold and has two of the cards glued to it. The cards are from around 1950 since the rules booklet states it is "incorporating the latest changes made for 1950."





So my question is, do I have a nice find here? Is there more worth to these with the tax stamps on them. I assume since the cards are still sealed, that's better than not.











No comments: