Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Sparkie & Big Jon

The same day I found the Bennett Cerf book, I picked up a vintage magazine called TV Radio Mirror; the May, 1956 issue. The issue told of that year's awards for viewers or listeners' favorite shows (hence the name TV Radio Mirror). Fascinating find and had so many great oldtime shows.

The real surprise personally was the bit about the show named the favorite children's program on radio, Sparkie & Big Jon, a radio show that began here in Cincinnati, broadcasting daily. By 1956, it was a weekly show, on Saturday mornings, I believe. The reason it jumped out at me is that a friend's dad was the writer for this show during its run on radio. I made copies of the article for my friend and she was going to give some to her family (their dad passed away earlier this year), so they're enjoying reading about the show and its popularity.

Have a look at the listing here.

No comments: